Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Out with the old....

So.... big news for me this week. I bought a PS3.

Now, to the average Joe, this might not seem like news, but if you know me, you know I love my video games. And for the last 2 1/2 years, I've been totally engrossed in a little machine called the Xbox 360. Microsoft did give me a nice run for awhile there, but the tide is turning this year. I list here my top five reasons for a buying a PS3.

1) BluRay - Not much to say here. Toshiba started shutting down there HD-DVD plants about a month ago, officially ending the new format war and screwing Microsoft in the process. It was a pretty pointless game, considering now that Toshiba is manufacturing parts for Sony's players, but in any case, for hi-def, BluRay is victor.

2) Failure Rate - If you've ever heard and Xbox running, you know what I'm talking about. The PS3's noise is akin to a baby's sigh. Every single one of my friends has had to send in their Xbox at least once for some type of service or replacement. Put simply, them suckers run HOT. Luckily, I have never needed a repair, but the PS3's 0.02% failure rate still makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

3) PlayStation Network - Not only are the PS3's online capabilities free (Xbox Live is $50/yr), there is also an internet browsing client included. For a system so focused with online interaction, it never occurred to me why the Xbox had not included this. I have also played a fair amount of COD4 on both systems now, and have had a more enjoyable experience on the PS3, which, did I mention was free?

4) Games - Exclusivity is the name of the game when it comes to pigeonholing the gaming market, and Microsoft certainly had their basket full for the last couple years. I know I bought my Xbox to play Halo 3, and so did everyone else. But this year shows much promise for the PS3, with some stellar exclusives like Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 and finally.....

5) LittleBigPlanet - If you haven't seen anything on this game, you must watch the video I posted below right now. All the levels will be created by users, uploaded, played, and voted on by the community. Everyone makes their own unique character and it's just the most fucking amazing game ever! You are literally only limited in this game by your imagination. It is the #1 reason I bought the PS3.



So there you have it. I have, as my Xbox loving friends say, "gone to the dark side." But in that case, I'm willing to bet Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is gonna look better on my system.

9 comments:

Justin said...

"Little Big Planet" is going to be a truly amazing game. It makes me want a ps3 myself. Another game you should be looking into is "Spore" for the PC.

I wouldnt say you have gone over to the dark side, I know people who have both systems. I think have a great system with the amazing Blu Ray player is great. The PS3 is still the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market, at least from what I have seen.

Speaking of the "Force Unleashed", have you seen the latest clips online of the first level? You play as Darth Vader kicking some serious ass. That game is going to be amazing!

Jared said...

Yeah the awesome thing about STFU (isn't that funny?) is that most games only use one engine, i.e. the Unreal Engine or Havok, but Force is using three engines at once! There will be some phenomenal visuals in this one.

Justin said...

Yeah, STFU is a great abbreviation. Oh, and if you want to really talk game of the year, I still say the 360 has the upper hand. PS3 has some good games, and some of their up and coming stuff is quite impressive. However, the game of the year will belong to Xbox360's "Fallout 3". At least in my opinion. It's my most anticipated game so far. Have you read up on it?

Jared said...

Sorry to steal your thunder, but Fallout 3 is multi-platform, and there was actually an article in the last Playstation magazine with one of the head developers at Bethesda concerning how much they learned about PS3 hardware during the late release Oblivion semi-port. The game actually ran faster and looked better on the PS3. And with all the advances Sony has made in partnering up for development technology in the past year, I still think this one goes my way.

Jared said...

And on another note, I'm a little more excited about Borderlands than Fallout anyway. But you can never go wrong with Bethesda.

Jeff Watkins said...

I'm going to get a Sega Genesis soon! Guys...guys?

Justin said...

Ah, i didnt realize Fallout was on ps3 as well. Thats awesome. Borderlands does look badass. Thats PS3 Exclusive isnt it?

Jeff, congrats on the Genesis man. May you have many enjoyable times playing Sonic.

Jared said...

I actually remember the year we got a Genesis for Christmas... My parents put it in a really long box so we had no idea what it was. Ah, memories.

PS - Borderlands will be on the 360, too. The trailer looks amazing on the tv, and apparently it's going to be a little MMOish in the sense that you can achiever certain quests by teaming up with other people online. We'll see...

Justin said...

Speaking of MMO'S you should read up on Age of Conan for PC. It looks amazing.