Monday, May 19, 2008

The Whip Cracks In Two Days

This coming wednesday night/thursday morning at 12:01 am, I will be sitting in a darkened theater with my friends waiting to see "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of The Crystal Skull". I can't tell you how excited I am to finally be typing that sentence. I have been hoping for a new Indy movie for the past 10 years and it's finally here. The early reviews are coming in from it's premiere at Cannes on Sunday, and from a Paramount Screening held yesterday all across the country for the press. So far, reception is good from the few things I have read. I try to avoid reading reviews because I hate spoilers, but I have read a few trusted critics and I am pleased with what I am hearing.

I grew up on Indiana Jones. I watched all 3 films countless times, even got to see "Last Crusade" on the big screen back in 1989. I still stand by "Raiders of the Lost Ark" being the best action/adventure movie ever made, but I also have a special place in my heart for both of the Indy sequels.

I love the "pulp fiction" quality of the Indy films. It's a throwback to old adventure tv serials from the 30's and 40's, and all the pulp comics of those days. I do wonder how a younger audience tempered on quick cutting, fast paced action films are going to handle a new Indy movie. There is no slick mtv-style editing tricks in these movies, in fact Spielberg wanted to shoot the new one in the same style as the originals. It's been a 19 year gap since the last one, and filmmaking has evolved alot since then. I think it will be interesting to see how people respond to this movie.

I am sure I will have more to say after I see the movie. For now I am just content to know that the man with the hat is finally back!

2 comments:

Chase said...

actually--it's been only 13 yrs since the last INDY film. this was a little heard of sequel put out by one-eyed jack prods. in 1996 called "indiana jones and the thingy that happened". it starred my friend Chris in the titular role and myself as "all the bad guys". it was filmed in my back yard, tree house, and camper on VHS-C and was a 3 hr shoot. Sure, we didn't make any scratch on it, but harrison ford approved and really what else can two brain dead children from alabama hope for?

on another note, i'm excited that the man in the yellow hat will be returning this summer for the curious george sequel.

Jared said...

I really really want this movie to be good. I probably won't see it for a few weeks, but I'll trust your judgment. Let us know how it goes!