Saturday, May 3, 2008

We should blog more.

There are four of us, four writer/readers. This has been really good, the four of us reconnecting and reconvening here. So long as we never quit the blog will still exist, but I hope that perhaps it could be a little more electric than lifeless. This resembles times when we've relaunched To Whom only for it to fizzle out after a couple months. I don't want to see that happen again.

I say all of this at the risk of being called a blog nazi. Seriously though, you must recognize this is not that at all as it is only the four of us and none of us are concerned about comments or stats. This is more like saying I want to hang out more. The question is, how would we interact if we were all on the same couches and standing in the same parking lots, being pissed at the same apartment management, cursing the same stale city we live in?

If we could somehow make that magic happen here, I think it would be miraculous. Let us pretend this blank blogger screen is the air in front of our mouths as we emit words in between drinks of Dr. Thunder, as we wax philosophical and marvel at our own genius, only to be put in our place moments later by another. But we should not fear that or act so as to avoid it.

Give me discourse. Carry on with me. If I tell you that I believe it's okay to beat my wife or some other such nonsense, I expect you to blurt out "wtf?" and perhaps stage some cyber intervention (you guys and you're half-assed interventions). Likewise, I expect myself not to be offended when you do not agree with me. I should give consideration to whatever it is you offer. What is this friendship if we only smile and nod? A meeting of m-o-o-n meatball brains, that's what.

This is not to say we haven't been honest or sincere, we have. I just wonder what we may not be saying and why. I'm not going to be offended if you tell me you hate God, ate God, or are proud to be a robotic cowboy. I love you and just hope you have some peace. If believing one thing moves you toward that end, wonderful. If doing something moves you any which way, be moved. I will cheer you on.

I'm under the impression that we four are generally opposed to rules and even suggestions. I get that. All I want to do is figure out how to make this gig work, how to make this location feel a little more like home or some place we'd hang out together. A Super Canton of the Internet. Jared, you can have my egg roll but don't put chicken in my water, please.

I am a man of many goals but I move so slowly. I am sedentary. This get-together is one thing I want to commit to because to me that means committing to you. I feel like of many things that I could bide my time with this will have greater rewards. Throw this out the window if you don't like it, you know. I'm not even sure I like it. I may delete it later.